Acerca de mim

The routine upset me so I waited until I found myself in the right frame of mind and I made it happen. I am living a great and hard adventure, that I expect every day to overcome. For me life must be lived day by day, taking the most important of it. When someone ask me: “but why Edinburgh?” I replies that is the Tibet nearest to Portugal. I try every day to keep a smile on my face, a sunny smile, even when my heart is sad, sunless day are long and slow to go. I found that my family and friends give me the strength to keep on going with the present. Ilse Furtado

segunda-feira, 7 de fevereiro de 2011

Bell Rock 200 years saving lives!


 We took the last weekend before Lily returning to classes, after nearly three weeks of Christmas vacation, to go to the National Museum Scotland! Saturday was very bright, with sunshine and a general dazzling whiteness, because of the snow during the previous night. This museum is a must visit place for those who are passing through Edinburgh as well as for those who live in Scotland, and it is a museum with new exhibits every four months, apart from the permanent display. It also has areas for children, a restaurant, a coffee shop, etc…
The leaflet that they gave me at the entrance I could see that the year was already planned at the level of exhibitions, from now until April 3, 2011 is the Shining Lights. This exhibition intends to commemorate the 200th anniversary on 11.February. 2011, of Bell Rock, the oldest lighthouse in the world, and publicize these works of engineering explain how and why they have lasted until the present day. On a large screen inside the exhibition space, we could read:

“Lighthouses are as important today as they were when the Northern L. Board was founded in 1786. They are an essential back-up to satellite navigation.”
The NLB which exists today is an important institution for matters of navigation in Scotland:

“To deliver a reliable, efficient and cost-effective network of
Aids to Navigation for the benefit and safety of all Mariners”
The entire exhibition is explained in an easily intelligible way, especially for the younger ones, this museum is definitely suitable for children, the visit does not become boring and all the exhibitions are designed to interact with the public, with films running, computers, and people ready to assist us if necessary.
I can not explain but I have an fascination for lighthouses, those towers that look like windmills, tall and thin and in the middle of the sea, a piece of land, well-lit and positioned for naval orientation. One day maybe we can visit a lighthouse personally and take a photograph to put here ... for now I only have a "souvenir”,  a red lighthouse snow globe with 8cm, which delighted my little girl!
 IF.

Sem comentários:

Enviar um comentário